Well-balanced flavour and clean carbohydrates make this soup a delicious, functional favorite.
Serves 6 to 8
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Special Equipment: Immersion blender or blender
• 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onions
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) grapeseed oil
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 cup (250 mL) chopped celery
• 1 cup (250 mL) chopped carrots
• 3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 4 large roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
• 4 to 5 cups (1 to 1.25 L) vegetable stock
• 1 cup (250 mL) coconut milk
• Large handful of fresh sweet basil, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Place the sweet potatoes and the onions on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a little of the grapeseed oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. Roast for 20 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
Heat the remaining grapeseed oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrots, garlic, and salt to taste. Stir in the roasted peppers and sweet potato mixture and cook on medium for 10 minutes.
Add the vegetable stock and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. As soon as it starts boiling, reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer soup, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
Using an immersion blender or blender, purée the soup to the desired consistency. Adjust seasoning. Stir in most of the basil, reserving a few leaves for garnish. Adjust seasoning. Serve garnished with the remaining basil leaves.
By Brendan Brazier